[OpenBIOS] Code Structure

Adam Wiggins madman at zip.com.au
Wed Feb 18 11:00:26 CET 1998

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Chris Arguin wrote:

> Partially to get people talking about what we should support, I would like
> to propose a possible code layout. A fairly simple method of sorting the
> source code that should be fairly extensible.

	I'd like to add rescue/ as really this should be the first bit of
code we do also with maybe a floopy utility disk to do the burn/recovery.
	Also as someone said we should first get the thing so it can boot
linux then work on the dos/win support. I imagine we need a very small
(code wise) consol interface that can be piped to teh vga card or the
serial port (for those who want serial config, one of the reasons this
project started i think) and to work in the mem/bus inits then move onto
the boot devices.
	Anyway enough speil from me.
	Cheers Adam

 >    memory/       <- how to setup cache, memory timing, etc...
>    Bus/
> 	PCI/
> 	ISA/
> 	AGP/         <- How to access and set up those buses
> 	USB/
> 	etc...
>    Drives/           <- for our purposes, anything that can boot
> 	Floppy/
> 	IDE/
> 	SCSI/
>    Interface/        <- The front-end
> 	Input/       <- Where do we get input from, and how
> 	Output/      <- Where do we send output, and how
>    Common/           <- Whatever code that is common
>    misc/             <- Anything else
>
> For example, my computer would be built with something like
>
>    memory/Intel/82437FX
>    Bus/PCI/Intel/82437X
>    BUS/ISA/Intel/PIIX
>    Drives/Floppy/Std_Floppy
>    Drives/IDE/PIIX
>    Drives/SCSI/NCR53c8xx
>    Interface/Power_CLI
>    Interface/Input/Keyboard
>    Interface/Output/VGA_text
>    misc/std_timer
>
> The Interface/Power_CLI would be something like the Sun-bootloader, or the
> Alpha console. Other possibilities would be a standard (like in most PCs),
> or maybe a PC96 compliant one, if that applies.
>
> Notice that you can easily change to a serial boot if desired, and I think
> this sort of division allows for quite a bit of flexibility. Configuration
> scripts can hide much of the actual details (for example, I would just
> select the Intel 430fx chipset, which would set up the Memory, PCI, ISA,
> and all that).
>
> Comments?
>
> --
> Chris Arguin          | "While I'm still confused and uncertain, it's on a
> Chris.Arguin at unh.edu  |  much higher plane... at least I know I'm bewildered
>                       |  about the really fundamental and important facts of
>                       |  the universe." - Equal Rites, Terry Pratchett
>

> ---
> OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/
> openbios-request at linkscape.net   Body: un/subscribe
> Problems?  dcinege at psychosis.com