[OpenBIOS] Why protected mode?

Matthias Wächter matthias at waechter.wol.at
Fri Jul 16 15:54:01 CEST 1999

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Timothy J. Massey wrote:

> Two things:  1) I see your point.  2) I don't want to offend anyone else by
> continuing this increasingly off-topic thread!  :)

about (1): Fine.

About (2): I don't agree. I think, the BIOS and the BIOS programmers play
a large role in the non-evolution of system startup but also of operating
system design. It's time for everyone involved, especially the BIOS
programmers, especially ones who want to do something "new", to discuss
the mistakes from the past, and these mistakes have a lot to do with the
processor "changes" and the way the BIOS changed with it... well, it
didn't. Currently we have the same BIOS interface as the 8086 (except
for the INT16 Bios extensions which are not used by some OSes, sadly,
Linux too in opposition to NT and Win98).

Sehr Wus,
- Matthias

--
Bunt ist das Dasein und granatenstark. Und: Volle Kanne, Hoschis!
                         aus: "Bill und Teds verrückte Reise durch die Zeit"

-
To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de
with "unsubscribe openbios" in the body of the message