[OpenBIOS] Why protected mode?

William Meyer wmeyer at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 15 09:47:14 CEST 1999

>I also wanted to add that all this nonsense was necessary because int he
>design of the 80286 there was a method of ENTERing protected mode, but no
>clean way to get back.  I'm curious to know whether the double/triple fault
>was used as a way back because that's how Intel had *designed* it, or if
the
>lack of method to come back to Real mode was an oversight.

Thinking back, I recall an article which discussed the one way process, and
offered no alternative to the keyboard kludge. As the author seemed well
versed in the inner essence of the 286, I tend to thing that your multiple
fault method was discovered later, as a head-smacking sort of experience.

William Meyer
MATCO
www.matco-video.com

-
To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de
with "unsubscribe openbios" in the body of the message