[OpenBIOS] OpenBIOS POST, flash, and IO card site.

Chris Davis cjdavis at t-systems.com
Tue Jul 6 13:44:41 CEST 1999

James,

For a number of reasons, this circuit is not going to work. Among
them:

1. You've hooked up IO Read and IO Write - this puts the Flash in the
IO space, not the memory space. You need MEMRead and MEMWrite

2. On the actual hardware that I have seen out there, segment F000h is
not sent to the ISA bus at all. In fact, most modern chipsets have a
totally separate data bus for the flash and other peripherals - so you
will never see any access to your boot board. We have used both
techniques on boards that we have designed in the past.

3. Even if you find a board that decodes F000 to the ISA bus, you will
now have bus contention between your board and the old standard flash
on the motherboard. Not a problem if the flash is socketed, but many
boards (some of ours, for example) have soldered flash, making this
non-trivial as well.

Given these major issues, here are a couple of alternatives:

- You could build a small carrier board to plug into the flash socket
on your motherboard which would hold 2 flash chips and some sort of
decoder that will switch between them under software control.

- build support for boot-block flash into OpenBIOS.

Sorry for the bad news, but there are still options for some little
hardware-hacking projects..

Regards,
Chris