[OpenBIOS] yeeee ha!

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Mon Mar 20 21:31:44 CET 2000

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Alan Grimes wrote:

> How do I figure out
> how tho flash one of these suckahs? Is there a standard BIOS flashing
> interface?
you flash it by either (1) using devbios in linux or (2) for stupid
companies (no names here :-)) using the company's bios flasher program.

>How do I figure out the funky quirks that my pecular BIOS
> knows about my board?

With good companies (e.g. SiS) ask them. With bad companies
(e.g. Intel) trial and error.

>How safe is this?

Very safe on, e.g., the L440GX+, since there is a jumper that uses a
different NVRAM chip for reloading the main NVRAM chip.

>How would I go about restoring
> a foobar BIOS. =\

what motherboard.

Everything depends on what motherboard you have.

ron

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de