[OpenBIOS] [IMPORTANT] Legal Issues.

Stefan Reinauer stepan at core-systems.de
Tue Aug 28 13:38:41 CEST 2001

* Stefan Reinauer <stepan at core-systems.de> [010828 03:20]:
> 7) Although we agree with the ideas promoted by the free software foundation we
>    do not and/or cannot necessarily agree with all of the rules set by the
>    foundation. In this light it could, to some extent, be a contrast of wishes to
>    become an offical GNU project.

For clarification: This does not mean that we do not like or do not want to
use GPL as OpenBIOS license. GNU projects are rather those mentioned on the
GNU website and following a set of rules including to use GNU utilities for
development whenever possible as well as following some GNU coding
conventions. But this does not always make sense. Writing a simple C compiler
to translate C to FCode is most probably more effective than writing a GCC
backend to do so. This affects the time you need to write such a compiler as
well as the quality of the produced code as gcc's mid layer language RTL is
not very good for (virtual) machines without registers. Still, writing a
small compiler for that purpose is contradictory to the idea of reusing
the existing GNU code base.

Best regards,
   Stefan

--
Mad, adj.:
        Affected with a high degree of intellectual independence.
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de