[OpenBIOS] EFI noise on slashdot

Stefan Reinauer stepan at openbios.org
Tue Oct 14 18:28:23 CEST 2003

* Torsten Duwe <duwe at lst.de> [031008 16:04]:
> If you, like myself, don't read slahdot, here's
> what I just came across as a search result.
>
> It is from end february, but I haven't seen an echo on this list, besides
> a comment from eric ["boy is EFI a kludge!"] in august which I'm not sure
> of whether it's related.
>
> http://slashdot.org/articles/03/02/20/189208.shtml
> "BIOS' Days Are Numbered"
>
> Set your comment threshold to 5 and/or search for openfirmware !-]

I am still looking for the advantages of EFI over Open Firmware.

Conceptionally there seem to be none. Implementationally EFI seems to be
at least a couple of times bigger than an Open Firmware implementation
would be.

If Intel wants to convince the community of EFI's value, they might
want come up with an EFI implementation that works as a LinuxBIOS payload.
;-)

    Stefan