[OpenBIOS] FCODE Evaluator

Stefan Reinauer stepan at openbios.org
Mon Sep 13 12:17:20 CEST 2004

* Swamy at soc-soft.com <Swamy at soc-soft.com> [040909 14:50]:
> My question is:
>
> 1. Will the kernel take care of inserting this PCI Driver and mapping
> the device? Or else do we need to build some evaluator for this?

The PCI driver is currently incomplete. It does not correctly enable
PCI option roms yet. This means the evaluator is already there and
it works (with some bugs probably, since it has not been extensively
tested) But you do _not_ need to write an evaluator yourself.

If you get the latest OpenBIOS snapshot from
http://www.openbios.org/snapshots/ you can have a look at the code in
openbios/drivers/pci.[c|h|fs] for the PCI driver and
openbios/forth/device/feval.fs for the FCode evaluator (byte-load)

> 2. Can you please name some PCI device which has FCODE driver built in

There are certain variations of the Adaptec 2930/2940, and some LSI SCSI
Raid controllers that I know of. Some graphics cards from ATI have FCode
available as well. I don't have a complete list though. There was a list
available at http://www.firmworks.com/open_fw/liter/cardlist.txt but it
seems Firmworks removed it.
Basically any PCI card designed for SUN machines, and some designed for
Apple PowerMacs should work.

Stefan