[OpenBIOS] RFC: Best way to implement debugging support

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Jul 30 18:43:07 CEST 2009

Hi all,

Over the past few weeks, I've been experimenting with different
approaches to allow me to break and single-step through certain code
sections to help me debug issues with Sparc64. Sadly, after a reasonable
amount of experimentation, I haven't managed to come up with anything
that works 100% per specification and so thought I'd ask the list to see
if there are any better ideas.

My aim has been to implement a subset of the OF spec 7.5.3.4 "Forth
source-level debugger" commands to enable me to step through various
code sections.

The main problem I have at the moment is that there doesn't seem to be
an easy way to determine which word is currently being executed in order
  to decide whether to execute the word normally or single step through it.

The nearest I have managed so far is to append a debug marker to the
return stack indicating whether words executed in the current stack
frame should executed normally or single-stepped. This works for the
majority of words, except for those which push/pop items from the return
stack during execution - as soon as the return stack is popped, the
marker is lost and so debug disappears part way through a word :(

Can anyone else come up with a better idea of implementing this so that
it can work with words that modify the return stack?

ATB,

Mark.

--
PostgreSQL - PostGIS