[OpenBIOS] G3Beige OpenFirmware Tree?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.openbios at telemetry.co.uk
Sun Jan 27 17:23:49 CET 2013

Programmingkid wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2013, at 10:00 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
>> On 27/01/13 01:45, Amadeusz Sławiński wrote:> >>> From wikipedia:>> "All Macs prior to the iMac, the iBook, the Blue and White Power Mac G3>> and the Bronze Keyboard PowerBook G3 use Old World ROM, while the iMac,>> iBook, Blue and White G3, and Bronze Keyboard PowerBook G3, as well as>> all subsequent models until the introduction of the Intel-based EFI>> Models are New World ROM machines."> > Hmmmm so in that case the QEMU device model isn't quite right - interesting.
> It looks like the Beige G3 didn't even come with Open Firmware. I personally think this Macintosh model is more trouble than it is worth. It can only support up to Mac OS 10.2.
> My suggestion is to start emulating a newer Macintosh. I propose the G3 iMac. It can support both the classic Mac OS and OS X. It also did come with Open Firmware and more people are likely have one given the fast of how popular they were in the day. -- OpenBIOS                 http://openbios.org/Mailinglist:  http://lists.openbios.org/mailman/listinfoFree your System - Mayy the Forth be with you

It's definitely got OFW, but not necessarily a full implementation. I
find this in my notes but can't supply any URLs on which I based it:

-----8<-----
PPC-based Macs use Open Firmware which is substantially the same as
SPARC-based Suns, however the one we've got is apparently the oldest to
have anything approaching a competent implementation. To get into it
hold Apple + Option + O + F (i.e. four keys, "Option" has a curious
glyph and might also be labelled "alt") during power-up then e.g. setenv
auto-boot? false to make sure it always goes to a prompt. Not entirely
reliable- onboard battery suspect: 1/2 AA 3.6V Tadiran lithium.

I think this machine is "OldWorld" so it too old for the Yaboot loader-
it doesn't respond to the boot cd:,\\yaboot hack. Alternatives are BootX
which assumes a preexisting MacOS and Quik which assumes a preexisting
Linux.

[...]

I can use Open Firmware to display a tree of devices etc. and it would
not surprise me if there were some arcane way to set up the card using
Forth but I've not seen info on that and I'm not sure the limited reward
justifies the effort- if I really need USB on PPC we look for a later
machine.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk