[openfirmware] Porting OFW to custom hardware

Andrea r&d4 at dave-tech.it
Thu May 29 19:32:49 CEST 2008

Mitch Bradley wrote:

> You probably included memtest.fth too early in the fw.bth load file ,
> before config-l@ and elf-map-in were defined.
>
> The OLPC build floads memtest.fth just after linux.fth .
>
> However, it turns out that you don't need to include memtest.fth at
> all.  The "config-l@" stuff that memtest does is OLPC-specific.  The
> location of memtest.fth in the pc/ directory is a mistake.  I just moved
> it down into the pc/olpc/ directory (svn revision 827).

ok

> On your system, you don't need a special command - just run memtest like
> this:
>
> ok boot u:\memtest

mmmhhh... that memtest on usb key it's just the memtest elf that I found
inside client/memtest86 but it gives:

ok boot u:\memtest
Boot device: /usb/disk:\memtest  Arguments:
Page Fault
ok

>> Can you give me some clue in what I'm missing?
>> (I'm a Forth beginner too, of course.. ;-) )
>
> [snip]

Thanks you very much for the clear explanation Mitch!

>> I also try with:
>>
>> ok test /memory
>> Testing memory at: 0f697000 size 000f2000
>> Testing memory at: 00100000 size 0f4fd000
>> Testing memory at: 00002000 size 0009e000
>> ok
>>
>> But it's a bit "too fast" to be a "real" memory test.. maybe I'm
>> missing something ;-)
>
> That memory test is very simple - just basic "works or not"
> functionality to detect hard failures .  It is not a stress test.

Ok, thanks

Now I have a (nearly ;-) ) stable board, after playing a while with PLL
and SDRAM timing.

Thanks for the support Mitch!

(I have some more question but I think it's better to open another
thread on this mailing list. I think it's more useful as reference for
others too ;-) )

Best Regards,

--

Andrea