[OpenBIOS] PCI setup code

Colin Jensen cj at accom.com
Wed Mar 29 14:11:01 CEST 2000

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Marcus Gossner wrote:
> > The IRQ assignment can't be done in the operating system. It depends on the
> > wireing on your board and therefore it is done in BIOS. You can check the
> > IRQ assignment with your original BIOS:
>
> So I have to disagree. If the OS can figure out what motherboard it is,
> then it ought to be able to do the assignment

You can't seriously suggest that the operating system should be able to detect
the motherboard type automatically!  While in *your* application, you could
hard code the motherboard setups into Linux, this is generally Not A Solution.

Marcus put it best: "IRQ assignment can't be done in the operating system".  And
this is for a simple reason: operating systems generally can't be hard-coded to
a particular motherboard.  And THERE IS NO WAY to automatically detect a
motherboard type.  NONE.  NADA.  CAN'T GO THERE.  The BIOS, since it is going to
be *glued* to the motherboard, is a much more reasonable choice for hard
coding...
-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de