[OpenBIOS] PCI setup code

Martin Mares mj at ucw.cz
Thu Mar 30 11:06:17 CEST 2000

Hello!

> It sounds like 2.2.x is relying on BIOS setup of PCI space even for the
> PCI_DIRECT case.

   Of course, the direct mode modifies only the way of accessing the
configuration registers, not how does the kernel interpret their
contents.

   2.3.x might do better, but only for resources (and only in simple
cases -- it doesn't know how to allocate space to bus bridges if the
BIOS forgets to do it), not for IRQ's.

> It is likely that 2.3.x needs this as well to some extent, but I can
> almost promise you that 2.3.x will behave more sanely when faced with
> the lack of BIOS setup...  The 2.3.x kernel PCI code has a ton of
> fixup-handling code already, which would be very similar to handling the
> completely-lack-of-BIOS case.   It shouldn't be very hard at all to get
> the PCI code completely independent of BIOS PCI setup -- if that hasn't
> happened already, that is.

   If you want, I can look at the OpenBIOS and write some PCI setup
code for it.

				Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares   <mj at ucw.cz>   http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/