[OpenBIOS] ANSI

Stefan Reinauer stepan at suse.de
Mon Jun 24 12:00:07 CEST 2002

* Segher Boessenkool <segher at chello.nl> [020623 03:05]:
> Well no.  It will still only compile on compilers that support GCC's
> variable macro arg syntax and its computed-goto-to-label support;  the
> only compiler that works with all this is GCC (even icc won't work).
> Oh, and named record initialization, too (a C99-ism).

The later one is probably easy to "fix", computed goto has it's point.
But this can probably be worked around with some #ifdefs as well.
Variable macro arg is a problem. Will we still need this when we are
able to compile the whole thing with itself?

> If you send a patch that removes these dependencies while not getting
> any performance loss (and the restrict's matter a lot, but there's not
> enough of them at this exact moment), it'll sure be applied.  But as
> long as we require GCC anyway, I prefer using all C99 goodies that ease
> my life.

None of my tests showed any change in performance with restrict
(was gcc 3.1.1 though, not HEAD) Still, restrict is changed to a macro
in the latest version of my patch, which is set when the keyword is
available. The same way would be viable for the other C99isms and
GNUisms. This way people have the choice between portability and speed
without having to touch the source. I don't think this will bloat the
source too bad - less than thousand lines are pretty easy to overview.

> I'll look into the auto-config-types thingie sometime soonish, btw.
> Yes I'm slow these days, sorry.

It's getting summer,.. nothing more understandable than that. If you
have any todo/wishes/requirements for this, drop me a note, I will
implement it.

  Stefan

--
The x86 isn't all that complex - it just doesn't make a lot of
sense.          -- Mike Johnson, Leader of 80x86 Design at AMD
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de
http://www.freiburg.linux.de/OpenBIOS/ - free your system..