[OpenBIOS] source of blank eeprom chips??

Stefan Reinauer stepan at suse.de
Tue Jul 1 09:53:45 CEST 2003

Hi Jack,

* Jack Cawkwell <jack at jackadder.freeserve.co.uk> [030630 22:20]:
> I am having problems finding places to buy empty flash 32 pin eeprom chips,
> suitable for use as BIOS chips. I would like to experiment with an empty
> one, rather than risk permanently damaging the existing one.
> Does any one know a good source of supply. How do you decide what speed
> is required?

Where to get them depends on the number of chips you need. I've been
getting them from a local electronics store and got some from old
motherboards, but this is only reasonable when you need a few. Prices
go down a lot if you get 50+.

Speed did never matter when I put flash chips on PC motherboards.
Everything from -90 to -150 types worked fine. The only thing you
have to take care about is the used voltage.

> How do I go from the writing on the chip to a eeprom spec, eg
>
> AE29f2008-12, or
> 28F1000PPC-12C4, or
> 208GH213286801SA

28xxyyy-zz types are 12v, 29 and 39(?) are 5v, 49 is 3.3v.
xx is F or LF most of the time. yyy is the size, 008 and 080 for 8MBit,
004 and 040 for 4MBit, 020 or 002 for 2MBit and so on. The -zz is
the used speed.

  Stefan

--
Architecture Team