[OpenBIOS] Device node naming for device_type pci?

Tarl Neustaedter Tarl.Neustaedter at Sun.COM
Thu Oct 18 04:14:10 CEST 2007

Asif Haswarey wrote:
[...]
> After looking at the pci bus-binding, [...]
> Well this does not seem to be the case on the SPARC system I am using:
>
> /pci at 1f,700000
> .properties
[...]
> If I use the first phy-hi value from the reg property, and extract the
> dev# and fun# as described in the OpenFirmware
> PCI Bus Binding, I get dev# = 0x00, fun# = 0x04.
> So how does Sun get:
> dev# = 0x1f
> fun# = 0x700000 [and valid fun#s range from 0 .. 7]
> Perhaps I am supposed to look at another property.
> Does anyone know which one that would be?

The unit address of a device node (and the reg property) is
defined by the *parent's* encode-unit. The root nexus on your
system translates

00000400 0ff00000 (binary form from the reg property)

into 1f,700000 (text form). See the encode-unit and decode-unit
methods in the top level "/" node. I recall this particular
pattern is from our first sun4s systems (excalibur et.al.), and
I don't recall the reason for the bits being scattered about
like that. But it's irrelevant to the pci nodes, the pci driver
itself does not need to know the translation.