[OpenBIOS] Solaris anyone?

Bob Breuer breuerr at mc.net
Mon Jun 13 01:06:33 CEST 2011

Nathan Kunkee wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 15:54:39 -0400
> > From: tarl-b2 at tarl.net
> > To: openbios at openbios.org
> > Subject: Re: [OpenBIOS] Solaris anyone?
> >
> > > Hmmm it looks from reading the source code that QEMU doesn't actually
> > > implement a proper audio device for SS-5 at all but merely provides a
> > > dummy device with an empty mapped region. In that case it may be
> > > possible to provide a simple mapping in OpenBIOS to match the one in
> > > QEMU which may be enough to persuade Solaris to boot.
> >
> > Ugh. I recall that audio chip being non-trivial...
> >
> > It might be worth deleting that audio device from the device tree and
> > see if Solaris really does get further.
> >
> I've tried the same CD image with the SS-10 QEMU machine, which seems
> to lack the audio device, and I still hang. I get the first part of
> the kernel, no extra logging, and then the spinner to infinity...
>
> nathan at xanth:/usr/local/build/qemu$ sparc-softmmu/qemu-system-sparc
> -bios openbios-builtin.elf -M SS-10 -cdrom
> /local/storage/ISO/solaris-9-sparc-d1.iso -nographic
>
> Configuration device id QEMU version 1 machine id 64
> CPUs: 1 x TI,TMS390Z55
> UUID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
> Welcome to OpenBIOS v1.0 built on Apr 30 2011 02:11
>   Type 'help' for detailed information
> Trying disk...
> No valid state has been set by load or init-program
>
> 0 > boot cd:d -k -v Not a bootable ELF image
> Loaded 7680 bytes
> entry point is 0x4000
> bootpath: /iommu/sbus/espdma/esp/sd at 2,0:d
>
> Jumping to entry point 00004000 for type 00000005...
> switching to new context:
> Size: 0x45c9f+0xdaf1+0x1d6a7 Bytes
> SunOS Release 5.9 Version Generic_112233-12 32-bit
> Copyright 1983-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
> Use is subject to license terms.
> Ethernet address = 52:54:0:12:34:56
> Using default device instance data
> \
>

> Does anyone know what loads on a real SS after the audio device?
>
> Nathan

For this hang, Solaris is stuck trying to set and verify a bit which is
currently un-settable in qemu.  It's the MMU breakpoint action register
(asi 0x4c), and if bit 12 is set, then it should continue on just like
with SS-5.  After fcp0, the next thing Solaris should initialize is the
network:

pseudo-device: fcp0
fcp0 is /pseudo/fcp at 0
Using RPC Bootparams for network configuration information.
le0: No carrier - cable disconnected or hub link test disabled?
le0: No carrier - cable disconnected or hub link test disabled?
Skipping interface le0

Bob