[OpenBIOS] testing Mac OS X boot on latest trunk (revision 1085) + divide by zero patch

Programmingkid programmingkidx at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 21:38:17 CET 2013

> On 13.01.13 16:43, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> >
>  On 12/01/13 16:05, Amadeusz Sławiński wrote:
>

>  I used the latest proposed divide by zero patch
>

>  So it seems like it is almost there.
>

>  Seems like it still can't load kernel when run with boot cd:,\\:tbxi
>

>  Mac OS X 10.0
>
> >> http://asmblr.net/scrot/2013-01-12-155737_1366x768_scrot.png
> >>

>  Mac OS X 10.2
>
> >> http://asmblr.net/scrot/2013-01-12-155642_1366x768_scrot.png
> >>

>  Mac OS X 10.4
>
> >> http://asmblr.net/scrot/2013-01-12-155935_1366x768_scrot.png
> >>

>  However when I specify partition to use it loads:
>

>  Mac OS X 10.0 (boot cd:9,\\:tbxi)
>
> >> http://asmblr.net/scrot/2013-01-12-163133_1366x768_scrot.png
> >>

>  Mac OS X 10.2 (boot cd:9,\\:tbxi)
>
> >> http://asmblr.net/scrot/2013-01-12-163300_1366x768_scrot.png
> >>

>  Mac OS X 10.4 (boot cd:3,\\:tbxi)
>
> >> http://asmblr.net/scrot/2013-01-12-163419_1366x768_scrot.png
> >

>  This should now be fixed in SVN trunk.
>

>  I believe I have now committed all outstanding patches based upon
>

>  William's main GSOC patchset, and performed a QEMU CDROM boot test
>

>  across all of SPARC32, SPARC64 and PPC to confirm that I haven't
>

>  introduced any regressions across any of my test images. Thank you
>

>  everyone for your help, patience and testing.
>

>  Interestingly enough, commits 1081 and 1082 appear to have fixed the key
>

>  issues with OpenBIOS's PPC MMU code and as a result, the following
>

>  kernels will now at least boot from ISO images in QEMU:
>

>  Darwin
>

>  FreeBSD
>

>  NetBSD
>

>  HelenOS
>

>  Fedora Linux
>

>  SuSE Linux
>

>  I think the remainder of the bugs during kernel initialisation are
>

>  related to either missing/erroneous properties in the OpenBIOS device
>

>  tree, or bugs in QEMU's device emulation/Mac hardware model. This will
>

>  likely require some assistance from the QEMU people to fix.
>

> I can confirm the statement from Mark regarding FreeBSD. So far I can
> boot but I fail due to the fact that some interrupt-parents are not
> populated. Namely for via-cuda and for ata-1/2/3. Adding these lets the
> boot continue until I hang somewhere in a cpu_idle routine. Still
> investigating.
>
> One thing the qemu people might clarify, is -M mac99 ok to use? Or what
> would be the preferred Mac model and which cpu?
> My trials go with mac99 and -cpu G4 on the 32-bit qemu.
>
> I think once I solved the spinning in the cpu_idle routine I'm near
> completing the boot.
>
> Thank you all for this effort!
>
> Andreas

Would you have a patch for this interrupt-parent property?

If it helps, here is the what I found in an G3 iMac:

via-pmu properties

0 > .properties
name                    via-pmu
device_type             via-pmu
compatible              pmu
reg                     00016000  00002000
interrupts              00000019 00000001
interrupt-parent        ff90fa00
pmu-version             00d07e0c
AAPL,clock-id           73706920 73703331
AAPL,clock-data         01de2000 00000044 00008000 00000000 00000000 00000044 00008000 00000044
                        00000010 6e756c6c 6e756c6c 012ad400

I think the mac99 model might be better at making Mac OS X boot on QEMU than the Beige G3 model. I personally would stick with the G3 processor. It has less features than the G4 so it might be easier to work with and emulate.