[OpenBIOS] Macintosh device tree

Programmingkid programmingkidx at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 05:19:33 CET 2013

On second thought you and others can still help. The device tree to the 450 MHz blue and white Power Mac G3 would help.

To print out the device tree you will need these items: The blue and white G3, another computer with an ethernet port, and a ethernet crossover cable.

You might be able to substitute the crossover cable with a regular ethernet patch cable if you use another more recent Mac like a MacPro or MacBook Pro.

The other computer can be a Mac or PC.

First connect the cable into each computer's ethernet port.

Start up the blue and white G3 while holding down the command-option-o-f keys. This will bring up Open Firmware. Type in this command to start a telnet server:
“ enet:telnet,10.0.0.2” io

On the other computer, make sure its ethernet ip address is set to something like 10.0.0.1. You can do this in the Network pane under System Preferences in Mac OS X. Under Windows you would use something like the Network control panel.

On the other computer, you will also want to open some console and start the telnet command like this:
telnet 10.0.0.2

If everything worked, then the blue and white G3's screen will go black and its output will appear on the telnet session.

Type these commands to print the device tree:
dev /
ls

Also type this command to give us info on the model string:
.properties

Yes, the period is there on purpose.

Once you are done with that, the info for the via-cuda and uninorth nodes would help as well.
These commands will print out some useful info:

dev via-cuda
.properties
words

I think this would bring up info on the uninorth node:
dev uni-n at f8000000
.properties
words

If the dev command doesn't work, it might be because the node might have a @<some hex number> text attached to it. I can help any one who needs help with this issue.

Copy and paste the output from these commands and send them to the mailing list.

Thank you to anyone who can help. This much needed information will really help push the mac99 target along.