[OpenBIOS] forth/lib/string-tools.fth missing?

Marcin Cieslak saper at saper.info
Wed Sep 30 07:32:35 CET 2015

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

> On 27/09/15 23:57, Marcin Cieslak wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was trying to build ofw to run under
> > qemu (using wiki instructions) and it
> > seems that r3781 added
> >
> > fload ${BP}/forth/lib/string-tools.fth
> >
> > in forth/lib/loadcomm.fth
> >
> > but there is no corresponding string-tools.fth file.
>
> Hi Marcin,
>
> The main development under QEMU is being done through the OpenBIOS
> codebase (see http://www.openfirmware.info/OpenBIOS for wiki
> instructions). I'm not sure that anyone has done much with the other
> firmware implementations recently, although I would be happy to accept
> build fixes. Which platform are you looking to work on?

Thanks. I have emailed the last committer directly regarding
this problem (I think they maintain it mostly for OLPC now).

I see that there is some other Forth included in the OpenBIOS
codebase. ofw's forth is using native images and embeds assembler
in the Forth code, while OpenBIOS's forth is similar to ficl -
it is forth written in C.

I am researching ways how FreeBSD can be booted on a machine
not providing most of the traditional BIOS services, and,
if using coreboot, what the next payload should be
(ideally supporting things like booting from ZFS).

FreeBSD currently uses 3 stage loaders (the final being
also Forth interpreter running on ficl), all requiring
INT 10h support. I just looked at the ofw since it
was the only one which built on FreeBSD with clang
with only minor modifications (and worked under qemu!).

Marcin